What is the WimBelemDon Project
Know More: https://bit.ly/2UtKOvv
WimBelemDon Project – Educating through Tennis
What is the WimBelemDon Project?
“That all children can have a dream and the ability to move on, creating a fair and self-sustainable society.”
“Through teaching tennis integrated with reading and school complementation, to facilitate the development of skills and attitudes in children at social risk to enable them to participate actively in the brazilian society.”
Summary of the Project
It’s a project that, through teaching tennis and carrying out extra-school activities, develops skills and attitudes in children at risk, seeking to facilitate the process of social integration.
The WimBelemDon Project was founded in october 2000
- Founded in 2000, in Porto Alegre, Brazil, WimBelemDon is among the 100 Best Non-for-profit Organization in the country based on 44 management and transparency criteria (we are more than 300.000 NGOs in Brazil) . It has been been the 1st Brazilian organization granted the ATP Aces for Charity Award, a recognition to Tennis social projects around the world.
- Over thousand children assisted by the project in the past 17 years
- 55 children daily assisted currently. Capacity for 120 children, dependent on donation budget. 100 have tennis classes once a week, at their school, staying in a waiting list.
- Comprehensive social transformation project offering daily Tennis lessons, Psychology group support, learning labs, literacy and story telling, Wellbeing practices, Arts Workshops.
How many children?
- 105 kids from 06 to 18 years old
What are the Project goals?
Promoting social inclusion of children at social risk through tennis lessons and school extracurricular activities.
- Encourage the development of self-esteem, confidence and discipline in children at a risk situation;
- Improve performance in school;
- Expand the world view;
- Take children to a safe enviroment, away from drugs and crime scenes;
- Keep children in school.
- The tennis practice helps children:
- Develop the ethics of work and discipline
- Dealing with errors and solve problems
- Holding up by their actions
- Control their emotions facing difficulties
- Dealing with stress, pressure and tension
- To make decisions by the planning of the best strokes and strategies
- Develop effective performance rituals
- Develop sporting spirit and social skills
- Win with dignity and lose with honor
- Develop a team spirit and communication
* Text written by Arthur Ashe
We believe that, like any individual sport, especially Tennis, make children discover they can overcome obstacles in their own and succeed in the game. This, with no doubt, helps to develop skills and positive attitudes that enable them, in the future, to participate actively in the brazilian society.